If you are visiting Menorca and by chance it starts to rain, what can happen, don’t worry, there are plenty of things you can do on the island without the sunshine that everyone expects.
Although the main attraction of the islands are its beaches of fine sand and crystal clear water, Menorca offers attractions all year round. We are going to propose a few ideal plans for when it rains or when the weather is bad.
1. Guided visit in Subaida, typical cheese factory in Menorca:
If you want to know the rural Menorca with a family and different plan we recommend you to go to Subaida. It is a farm of more than 350 hectares in the center of Menorca where they make authentic Menorcan Mahon cheese and sausages.
Subaida offers different types of tours:
- Free View: You can visit the Subaida farm free of charge during its established hours. They will give you a brochure and you can visit their facilities.
- Guided Visit: It is a one and a half hour visit with a cost of 9€/person (4€/children). It is ideal for children. They show you their facilities, you get to know how Mahón Menorca cheese is made and you have a small tasting.
- Pairing Tour: This adults-only tour is based on a complete wine and cheese tasting. A tour of the farm is also included.
Subaida is a very nice country house that represents the most agricultural Menorca, it is worth a visit. More information here:
2. Visiting a stately home in the old town of Ciutadella:
In the old town of Ciutadella there are different stately houses that can be visited. They are old houses that have been maintained over time and now are given different uses. The “noble” estate of Ciutadella is still very present in the Ciutadella culture (and this is shown in the festivities of Sant Joan).
As there is an important mess of schedules and depending on the season of the year we recommend, simply, that you take a walk through the old town of Ciutadella and you go finding them and see if you can access. Here is a list of the main palaces:
- Ca’n Olivar: In the cathedral square. May, June, September and October from 10 am to 2 pm. July and August from 10h to 14h and from 19h to 21.30h. From November to April upon group request.
- Palau Saura: Publicly owned, a multitude of activities are carried out here.
- Palau Salort: Open from 10h to 14h from June to September.
3. Visit to “Sa Catedral de Menorca”:
While you are walking through the old town of Ciutadella, the most charming urban area of the island, you can take a look at the Catedra de Santa Maria de Ciutadella (although if you ask a Menorcan they only know it as “Sa Catedral”). It is a Gothic church built between the 13th and 14th centuries. It is the highest point of the town of Ciutadella.
Other activities to do in Ciutadella
Visits are made from May to October from Monday to Saturday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. Also during the winter months it is open until 15.30 and mass hours (usually every day at 9 am and Sundays at 9 am and 5 pm).
4. Visit the Museum of Menorca in Maó:
Located in the town of Maó, where you can see the prehistory and history of the island.
The museum occupies what used to be the Franciscan convent of Jesus, built between the 17th and 18th centuries. It is a site worth visiting. It is the most important museum of Menorca, an island with a lot of history behind it.
The museum opening hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 to 18:00 and Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 to 14:00 hours, general admission is 4 €. More information on its official website.
5. Visit the “Centro Artesanal de Menorca”:
The handicraft center of Menorca is located in the guardhouse of the old barracks of Mercadal, where local products are valued, you can find samples of products, individual and collective exhibitions, apart we can find educational activities and other similar actions.
We will be able to access this museum from Monday to Saturday from 9:30 to 14:30 and free of charge, so the price of admission will not be a problem to approach to see the handicrafts of the island.
This is our selection of things to see in Menorca when it rains.
6. Private tour (group) of Mahón.
If you go in a group you can take a private tour of Mahón to discover the charm of the capital. You will have a guide for you and your friends that will show you the most important things to see in the capital of Menorca.
It has a duration of 2 hours. It starts at the Plaça de sa Esplanada and visits the Town Hall, governor’s palace, market, cloister of the carmen, etc.
The most remarkable thing is that you will have an exclusive guide for you who will be able to modify the itinerary to know the areas that catch your attention. If you are a large group it will be very economical and can be done perfectly with an umbrella.
7. “Cup” in sa Cova de’n Xoroi:
Continuing with the more “nocturnal” plans, another good idea to spend a rainy night is to go to “Sa cova de’n Xoroi”. It is a nightclub located in a unique location. It is the most famous discotheque in Menorca.
They also have daytime plans in “sa cova”.
More information on the official website.
8. Locking yourself in a SPA:
Why not? In Menorca when it rains the calm is multiplied by 2. Locking yourself in some of these spas can be a great way to watch the rain and relax. When you come to Menorca you come to relax? and if it’s in a pool full of bubbles even better!
Also included in the best plans for couples in Menorca.
We like these SPAs:
- Audax Artiem Hotels: For blogmenorca.com the most complete SPA on the island. It is located in Cala Galdana, in the hotel Audax of the Minorcan chain ARTIEM HOTELS. You can visit their website here
- SPA Carlos 3: Hotel also of ARTIEM located in es castell, at the end of the port of Maó. Incredible views and an interesting spa. More information here.
- Lago Resor Menorca: Hotel in Cala’n Bosch with a very complete spa. You can see all its features on its official website.
Extra TIP* Check the island activities with “Nan Ventura”.
“Nan Ventura” is a website that schedules all the activities in Menorca. If you are in Menorca and you don’t have a plan visit this web and you will see all the plans for the following days. You may find pleasant surprises that can brighten up a rainy day.
Do you have any other ideas? When it rains do you like to do anything that is not in this article?
We would be very grateful if you tell us about it at the end of this article! We would add it at the end of the article if we consider it interesting.