Life in Menorca is not only in Ciutadella or Mahón. Some of the most attractive beaches of the island are located in very complete urbanizations.
Binibeca Vell is an example of this. Located in the southeast of Menorca, its proximity to Mahón and Sant Lluís (municipality to which it belongs) has made this urbanization founded in 1964 one of the main tourist attractions of the south and of the island.
Why? Charm is not lacking. What is now one of the island’s tourist attractions may have once been a fishing village, although there are different opinions. Its narrow streets with whitewashed houses, its ancient cobblestones and the sea at its feet have made it an exceptional destination.
In Menorca it is known as the village of Binibèquer Vell. It is an enclave from which you can access Binibeca beach and four small but very beautiful coves nearby: Biniancolla, Binisafuller, Biniparratx and Binidalí, from east to west.
To top it off, the Uruguaiana Cliff and the so-called Islote de Binibeca, located in front of Punta des Pont, are two curious enclaves that you can visit if you travel to the urbanization.
How to get to Binibeca Vell
Binibeca Vell is very well communicated with the rest of the island. To get there there are three options:
- By road from the town of San Luis, for which you only have to take the ME-10 road and follow the signs to Binibèquer. If you depart from Mahón or from Menorca Airport the route does not vary. First you must go to San Luis and then take the exit indicated by the signs to the town.
- By road from Ciutadella the road is longer as you cross the island. In any case, it is worth it. To do so, simply drive along the ME-1 road linking Ciutadella, Ferreries, Es Mercadal, Alaior and Mahón. At the height of Sant Lluís or Menorca Airport, take the exit to Binibèquer.
- By boat from the ports of Mahón or Cala’n Porter. You can rent boats without a license for a few hours and sail along the coast up to Binibeca Vell.
- By bus it is possible to arrive from May to October on the following lines
which link the capital Mahón with San Luis, Binibèquer and Binisafuller. It is necessary to check the schedules before planning the trip because they change every year.
Services in the urbanization
Binibeca Vell is one of the most developed urbanizations of the Minorcan coast and famous for merging the well-known virgin beaches that represent Menorca with an enviable offer of leisure and services. As it is a residential area, it has supermarkets and a church.
Of course, restaurants, apartments and hotels are not lacking in the urbanization. As soon as you enter Binibeca, there are two free parking lots where you can leave your car and on both sides of the Carrer de la Mar Mediterrànea, you can find accommodation and places to relax.
In high season, during the months of June to September, reservations are recommended in the restaurants and villas closest to the coast. The flow of tourists is usually large.
Services on the beach and in nearby coves
The urban beach of Binibeca is very close to the urbanization, so the same services can be found there. From a beach bar where you can stay hydrated to the rental service of umbrellas and sun loungers. In addition, there is a lifeguard station and a picnic area among the pine trees.
If you are traveling in summer, try to arrive early or you risk running out of umbrella. In the neighboring coves of Binidalí, Biniparratx, Binisafuller and Biniancolla the same thing happens; and although in them the offer of services is smaller, in all of them there are restaurants, hotels and parking lots nearby.
Activities of interest in Binibeca.
Some places you should know if you travel to this urbanization and the nearby coves are:
- Viewpoint of Cala de Binidalí. You will find it on Carrer de Sa Nastre and the view of the sea and nearby beaches is breathtaking.
- Casa Candi. Known for being the first house in the urbanization, it is normal to look for it and photograph it.
- Binibeca Diving. If you want to live a different aquatic experience, Binibeca Diving offers diving courses and diving in waters near Cala Torret. Link here.
- Boat rental in Binibeca. The company Menorca Luxury Broker rents different boats, zodiacs or motorboats with/without skipper in the area. More information on their website. Boat rentals in binibeca